NW ND Emergency Housing Stability

NW ND Emergency Housing Stability helps families experiencing extended power outages (5+ days) due to the late April blizzard/ice storm.


Attention: The deadline for new applications was June 15, 2022.


Who should apply?

Residents of Williams, Burke, Divide, McKenzie, Mountrail, Ward and McLean Counties who have experienced a loss of power lasting 5 days or more, since the beginning of the April 22-23, 2022, storm event, and have qualifying incomes. (See income limits for renters and homeowners.)

Click here to view a user guide for the application portal.


Services available include:

  • Cost associated with fueling generator(s) that supply power to your home during the extended power outage or
  • Cost of temporary relocation to hotel due to loss of ability to live in home due to the extended power outage

***Up to $100 per day (maximum per household). The last day to apply is June 15, 2022.***



Learn more:

Program flyer




What is “Housing Stability During Extended Power Outage in Northwest ND” (NWND-EHS)?

ND has established a simplified route to access emergency housing stability services for residents of Williams, Divide, Burke, McKenzie, Mountrail, Ward and McLean Counties who have experienced extended power outages (5+ days) due to the late April blizzard/ice storm, as an acknowledgement that the impact of the extended power outages associated with the spring blizzard may further exacerbate challenges that households may already be facing due to the accumulated impact of the pandemic.

How do I apply?

Applicants can apply online at

Visit for additional information and application details.

I’m already receiving assistance through ND Rent Help (NDRH), can I apply?

As long as you have not reached your maximum benefit allowed under NDRH guidelines, yes. The NWND-EHS can be used in conjunction with other housing assistance that may be available to you via ND Rent Help.

Can I apply from the NDRH portal if I am already a recipient of Rent Help benefits?

Renters and homeowners will need to use the specialized route to apply for NWND-EHS. Renters who may have applied for or are already receiving rent assistance via NDRH will also need to use the specialized route to apply for NWND-EHS.

I’m a homeowner, do I qualify?

Yes. NWND-EHS is available to both homeowners and renters.

What documents will I need for my application?

You will need documents that verify your identity, where you live, and your household income. 

  • Identification
  • Proof of residency (Homeowners: Most Recent Property Tax Statement, Mortgage Statement, Property Deed or Most Recent Utility Bill and Renters: Current Lease or Most Recent Utility Bill
  • Most recently filed tax return or current income documentation (ex. 2 most recent pay statements)
  • Eligibility documentation for any federal, state, or local government assistance programs (optional but if available can expedite processing)
How much can I earn and still qualify for NWND-EHS?

Homeowners can earn up to 100% of the median income for your county. Renters can earn up to 80% of the median income for your county of residence.

Click here to find the limits for renters.

Click here to find the limits for homeowners.

You already have all my documents for NDRH, can’t you just pull them for me?

No, unfortunately we cannot. NWND-EHS is set up to operate through a specialized application and as such requires new information. You can, however, utilize your existing system login if you have one when you apply. 

What types of assistance are available?

NWND-EHS can assist with:

  • Extra-ordinary utility expenses associated with the power outage (fuel costs needed to operate generators for residential purposes during the power outage).
  • Help with the cost of hotel if incurred because of displacement from home due to loss of livability
Can I apply for assistance to keep other areas of my property or business (other than my home) operational?

No. NWND-EHS is for costs associated with your primary residence only.

I work for an organization that helps people with applications. Is there a special process I can use to apply on behalf of my clients?

No. There is no “delegate” function in place for NWND-EHS. It is also important to note that this application portal is separate for the NDRH and does not have the ability for a person to use their existing counselor log-in on behalf of a client. We encourage you to work with any individuals you may be supporting to assist them with applying under their own account.

I am receiving NDRH rent/utility assistance, will this count against my months of future assistance?

Yes. Any costs associated with utilities (i.e., fuel for a generator) will count as assistance received.

How long will this assistance be available?

Assistance is available retroactive from the beginning of the power outage event through power restoration for your home. The application for assistance will be available from May 4th - June 15th, 2022.

No new applications will be accepted after June 15, 2022.

I am experiencing a disaster too. Why is my area not eligible for help?

NWND-EHS is intended to address housing stability in NW ND due to extended power outages that resulted from the April 22/23 storm in recognition of the reality that an extended power outage is an imminent risk to housing stability, particularly when the impact is layered with the accumulated pressures households have experienced as a result of the pandemic. 

However, you may be eligible for assistance through the state’s existing housing stability programs.

If you are a renter, you may be eligible for help with both rent and utility costs, both past due and forward owing. Please visit ND Rent Help to apply for NDRH. 

If you are a homeowner, you may be eligible for help with mortgage and/or utility costs, as well as property taxes, home insurance and some home repairs. While not yet available to the public, the state’s “Help for Homeowners” program will be accepting applications by early summer 2022. Please visit ND Help for Homeowners to enroll for updates on program availability.

I don’t have all my documentation available but will have it soon, should I apply now?

Please wait until you have all required documentation available to submit your application. Incomplete applications will result in denial and a new application will be required.

Will I have to report this assistance as income on my taxes?

No. As per IRS guidance, this assistance is not reportable income to the recipient (renter or homeowner).

What counties are eligible for assistance?

Burke, Divide, McKenzie, Mountrail, Williams, Ward and McLean counties.


How do I get more information?